Hosts for seminar speakers are responsible for the following:
- Inviting the Speaker. Seminar invitations are extended well in advance, and the date is locked in by the host in communication with the potential speaker.
- Here is a sample invitation:
- Dear________ ,
On behalf of the Seminar Committee, I would like to invite you to present a seminar to the UC Berkeley Plant and Microbial Biology Department for our 2016-2017 Seminar Series. We would be delighted if you were able to accept our invitation for one of the dates below:
(include dates that are available)
Our seminars are held on Wednesdays on the UC Berkeley campus (Barker Hall) from noon to 1pm. We offer an honorarium of $200 and will cover coach air travel, ground transportation, meals and two nights hotel accommodations.
I sincerely hope that you will be available for one of the dates. Please let me know of your preferred date at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.
With best regards,
(Member of the UC Berkeley Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 Seminar Series Committee)
- Once the invitation is confirmed, the host enters the date on the PMB Seminar Calendar and the host's work is done -- until a week before the seminar.
PMB Support Staff Responsibilities
At this point, PMB Administrative staff will take over and do the following:
- Arrange the speaker's travel, including air and hotel stay.
- Keep in touch with the speaker, get the title of the seminar and create individual seminar flyers and a poster for the semester.
- Publicize the seminar on departmental and university-wide calendars.
- Admin support will announce the seminar to relevant speaker lists and web sites throughout the department, campus and our affiliates.
One week before the Speaker's arrival the host should:
- Get in contact with the Speaker and arrange pick-up at the hotel the morning of the seminar day.
- Set up a dinner for Wednesday night. Up to 6 guests, including the speaker and host, may attend.
Internet access for speaker
If you need help please contact the front desk at firstname.lastname@example.org, 642-9999.