For International Speakers

International speakers require additional paperwork. If you do not wish to receive an honorarium or travel reimbursement from us, you do not need to submit any of this information.



Due to complex university travel policy, PMB must purchase your airfare for you. Speakers may not purchase their own flights. If you have a special circumstance, please email to discuss further. Our goal is to ensure that your travel is in compliance with our policy so that we can easily reimburse you for your out-of-pocket expenses. 

Reimbursement for Meals and Incidentals

The PMB Department can cover meals and incidentals during the days of travel. Reimbursement for these expenses are capped at a total of $62 per day. You will be reimbursed only for actual daily expenses, and the limit will not carry over from one day to the next.

Dinner on Wednesday night, the day of your seminar, is paid for by your host.

Please submit original receipts upon arrival, or email them to All meals, including meals purchased at the hotel, must be paid for by you and reimbursed as a travel expense. Please do not charge meals on the hotel bill, as university policy requires us to only have lodging costs on that invoice.

Reimbursement for Transportation

We can cover:

  • Transportation to / from your home to the airport for your flight.
  • Transportation from the airport to Hotel Shattuck. If you are staying with your host or friends we can cover the cost from the airport to that destination.
  • If you take BART it is not necessary to provide a receipt for reimbursement, just let us know the cost.
  • If you take a taxi or shuttle please request a receipt and turn that in for reimbursement.

Before Your Trip 

Complete Glacier forms and bring them with you to UC Berkeley. Glacier is the UC Berkeley tax compliance system for making payments to foreign individuals. Approximately a week before your seminar, a PMB staff member will register you for the Glacier system and you will receive an email from with information about how to log in. Follow the instructions and complete the online forms within 10 days of receiving the email.

During Your Trip

When you come to the PMB Department Office, you will be asked to complete some paperwork in order to receive your honorarium and be reimbursed for travel expenses.  Please bring:  

  • Your passport – We will make a copy of your passport picture page and visa stamp. We must submit a copy of these items in order to pay or reimburse you.
  • Your I-94 – This document is available electronically only. You can retrieve your i-94 via this link and bring a copy with you, or you can do this step in our office.
  • Social Security Number or International Tax Identification Number (ITIN) - If you have a US Social Security Number or InternationalTax Identification Number (ITIN), please bring it. 
  • Your Glacier tax documents

After Your Trip

Send all travel receipts for reimbursement to:  

PMB Front Desk c/o Rachel Kallett
Plant and Microbial Biology, UC Berkeley
111 Koshland Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-3102 USA

Or send a scan of your receipts to

If you do not receive your checks for your honorarium and travel reimbursement within a month, please email and we will follow up.

More Information About Payments From UC Berkeley

Glacier - U.S. tax laws require UC Berkeley to collect information from non-U.S. citizens to determine their tax status for any payment or reimbursement. Glacier is an online system that Berkeley uses to collect this information.  

A PMB department staff member will submit your Glacier information form to the UC Berkeley payroll office. The payroll office will send an email from with your Glacier password and information on how to log onto the system.  

When you receive this email, please log onto the Glacier system and complete the information as soon as possible, but within 10 days of the receipt of the email. Please bring your printed Glacier forms with you on the day of your seminar, or you can print them here. 

Honorarium - In most cases, you will receive a $200 USD Honorarium payment for giving a seminar here. The U.S. Government will take approximately 30% of this amount (about $60) for taxes before payment.  

Required Information and Forms - In order to process an honorarium or travel expense reimbursement to a non-US Citizen, UC Berkeley requires:

- Home Address (to send the check)
- Social Security Number or ITIN, (if you have one)
- Completed forms
- Copy of passport, I-94, and visa stamp
- Certificate of Academic Activity (will be completed on arrival to the PMB office)
- Travel expense receipts


Please contact PMB Front Desk at, 510.642.9999.

Mailing Address: Plant & Microbial Biology, University of California,  111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-3102