Student Reimbursement Process
The most common types of reimbursements due students are for when a grad student takes a seminar speaker to lunch or makes a purchase for entertaining potential students on Grad Student Recruitment weekend. Students also occasionally purchase supplies for a lab or the department.
Please see below for the specific process to get reimbursed:
- Reimbursement for taking Seminar Speaker to lunch or dinner.
- Reimbursement for Grad Student Weekend - mileage, meals or supplies.
- Reimbursement for a lab or the department.
1. Seminar Speaker Lunch or Dinner Reimbursement
- An itemized receipt is required for reimbursement. Some restaurants do not automatically provide this, but they usually can provide one if you ask for it.
- Proof of payment is required. The university requires this to ensure that we are reimbursing the person who actually paid for the meal. Also, if your tip is hand-written in on the receipt, you will still need to provide proof of payment to confirm the total paid. If your receipt has all expenses includes all expenses (including tip), your name, and last four digits of your credit card printed on your submitted receipt, that counts for proof of payment. Otherwise, a copy of of this transaction from your credit card website will also work (please make sure your home address and all but the last 4 digits of your credit card number are blacked out).
- The lunch reimbursement limit is currently $45 per person, including tax and tip. This is usually not a problem for the speaker lunches, but please do keep this limit in mind.
- We cannot reimburse for spouses or family members of students/staff/faculty (including those who work at UCB) without an exception. It is easiest just to keep the guest list limited to people specifically affiliated with PMB, but if you have a special circumstance, please let me know and we can talk about how to handle it.
2. Reimbursement for Grad Student Weekend
- Please download Reimbursement Instructions - read this first.
3. Reimbursement for a Lab or the Department
- Spending for a lab or the department should be approved either by the PI or PMB Department Manager Theresa Ahearn.
- Please keep all receipts for processing.
Shared Services processes all reimbursements via Bear Buy. For complete instructions please visit: