For Students

Student Reimbursement Process

 The most common types of reimbursements for students are for when a grad student takes a seminar speaker to lunch or makes a purchase for entertaining potential students on Grad Student Recruitment weekend. Students also occasionally purchase supplies for a lab or the department.



Please see below for the specific process to get reimbursed:

  1. Reimbursement for taking Seminar Speaker to lunch or dinner.
  2. Reimbursement for Grad Student Weekend - mileage, meals or supplies.
  3. Reimbursement for a lab or the department.

1. Seminar Speaker Lunch or Dinner Reimbursement

  • Entertainment forms should be submitted via BearBuy; assign the cart to Rachel Kallett
  • Please find more detailed BearBuy reimbursement instructions HERE

***PLEASE NOTE: New request for more detailed attendee list.***

- Each attendee should have his/her title and affiliation annotated
- The list should be in alphabetical order by last name
- The list should be numbered 
- If you host an open-event, please provide a sign-in sheet, so folks can add this information when they arrive. 
  • An itemized receipt is required for reimbursement.  Some restaurants do not automatically provide this, but they usually can provide one if you ask for it.
  • Proof of payment is required.  The university requires this to ensure that we are reimbursing the person who actually paid for the meal.  Additionally, if your tip is hand-written in on the receipt, you will still need to provide proof of payment to confirm the total paid (bank statement).  If your receipt has all expenses (including tip), your name, and the last four digits of your credit card printed on it, that counts for proof of payment.  Otherwise, a copy of this transaction from your credit card website will also work (please make sure your home address and all but the last 4 digits of your credit card number are blacked out).  
  • The lunch reimbursement limit is currently $45 per person, including tax and tip.  This is usually not a problem for the speaker lunches, but please do keep this limit in mind.  
  • We cannot reimburse for spouses or family members of students/staff/faculty (including those who work at UCB) without an exception.  It is easiest just to keep the guest list limited to people specifically affiliated with PMB, but if you have a special circumstance, please let me know and we can talk about how to handle it.

For exceptions and additional questions please contact Theresa Ahearn, PMB Department Manager, at or PMB Front Desk at

2. Reimbursement for Grad Student Weekend

  • For entertainment reimbursements, the process is the same as "1. Seminar Speaker Lunch or Dinner Reimbursement" above.
  • Please make sure to submit a detailed attendee list, numbered and in alphabetical order - as host be sure to include your own name 
  • Attach a separate list if more than 10 guests unless impractical due to open nature of the event.
  • For travel reimbursements, such as mileage or gas, please see Direct Entry for Travel Reimbursements.

3. Reimbursement for a Lab or the Department

  • Spending for a lab or the department should be approved either by the PI or PMB Department Manager Theresa Ahearn.
  • Please keep all receipts for processing.

For the most up-to-date information on the reimbursement process, please visit:


Please contact Department Manager Theresa Ahearn at or PMB Front Desk at, 510.642.9999.