Hosts for seminar speakers are responsible for the following:
- Inviting the Speaker. Seminar invitations are extended well in advance, and the date is locked in by the host in communication with the potential speaker.
- Here is a sample invitation:
- Dear________ ,
On behalf of the Seminar Committee, I would like to invite you to present a seminar to the UC Berkeley Plant and Microbial Biology Department for our 2016-2017 Seminar Series. We would be delighted if you were able to accept our invitation for one of the dates below:
(include dates that are available)
Our seminars are held on Wednesdays on the UC Berkeley campus (Barker Hall) from noon to 1pm. We offer an honorarium of $200 and will cover coach air travel, ground transportation, meals and two nights hotel accommodations.
I sincerely hope that you will be available for one of the dates. Please let me know at your preferred date at your earliest convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.
With best regards,
(Member of the UC Berkeley Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 Seminar Series Committee)
- Once the invitation is confirmed the host enters the date on the PMB Seminar Calendar and the host's work is done -- until a week before the seminar.
PMB Support Staff Responsibilities
At this point, PMB Administrative staff will take over and do the following:
- Arrange the speaker's travel, including air and hotel stay.
- Keep in touch with the speaker, get the title of the seminar and build web pages for advance publicity of the speaker's visit.
- Publicize the seminar on departmental and university-wide calendars.
- Ask the speaker which faculty he/she would like to meet with.
- Admin support will set up those meetings and also announce the seminar to relevant speaker lists and web sites throughout the department, campus and our affiliates.
One week before the Speaker's arrival the host should:
- Get in contact with the Speaker and arrange pick-up at the hotel the morning of the seminar day.
- Set up a dinner for Wednesday night. Up to 6 guests, including the speaker and host, may attend.
Internet access for speaker
If you need help please contact Karyn Houston at firstname.lastname@example.org, 643.7614.