International speakers require additional paperwork. If you do not wish to receive an honorarium or travel reimbursement from us, you do not need to submit any of this information.

AIRFARE purchase

Due to university policy, PMB must purchase your airfare for you. Speakers may not purchase their own flights.


The University can cover breakfast, lunch and dinner during the days of travel. Reimbursement for these meals is capped at a total of $71 per day. You will be reimbursed only for actual daily expenses, and the limit will not carry over from one day to the next.

Dinner on Wednesday night, the day of your seminar, is paid for by your host.

Please submit original receipts upon arrival, or email them to All meals, including meals purchased at the hotel, must be paid for by you and reimbursed as a travel expense. Please do not charge meals on the hotel bill, as university policy requires us to only have lodging costs on that invoice.


We can cover:

  • Transportation to / from your home to the airport for your flight.
  • Transportation from the airport to Hotel Shattuck. If you are staying with your host or friends we can cover the cost from the airport to that destination.
  • If you take BART it is not necessary to provide a receipt for reimbursement, just let us know the cost.
  • If you take a taxi or shuttle please request a receipt and turn that in for reimbursement.

Before Your Trip 

1. Complete Glacier forms and send to UC Berkeley's Central Payroll office. Glacier is the UC Berkeley tax compliance system for making payments to foreign individuals.  After the PMB Departemental Manager registers you for Glacier, you will receive an email from with information about how to log in. Follow the instructions and complete the online forms within 10 days of receiving the email.

2.  If your country has a tax treaty with the US and you wish to claim it, make an appointment with Christine Chang in UCB Central Payroll (, (510) 642-0681).  The US government will automatically apply a 30% tax to your honorarium payment unless your country has a tax treaty with the US and you wish to claim that.  More information about tax and tax treaties is listed in the "Honorarium" section below.

During Your Trip

1. When you come to the PMB Department Office, you will be asked to complete some paperwork in order to receive your honorarium and be reimbursed for travel expenses.  Please bring:  

  • Your passport – We will make a copy of your passport picture page and visa stamp. We must submit a copy of these items in order to pay or reimburse you.
  • Your I-94 – This document is available electronically only.  Please retrive your i-94 at this website and bring a copy with you. If you have a US Social Security Number or International Tax Identification Number (ITIN), please bring it. 

2. (Optional) Meet with Christine Chang from UC Berkeley Payroll if you have set up an appointment with her to complete ITIN paperwork.

After Your Trip

1.  Send all travel receipts for reimbursement to:  

Dana Jantz
Plant and Microbial Biology, UC Berkeley
111 Koshland Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-3102 USA

Or send a scan of your receipts to

2.  If you do not receive your checks for your honorarium and travel reimbursement within a month, please email and she will follow up.

More Information About Payments From UC Berkeley

Glacier - U.S. tax laws require UC Berkeley to collect information from non-U.S. citizens to determine their tax status for any payment or reimbursement. Glacier is an online system that Berkeley uses to collect this information.  

The PMB Departmental Manager will submit your Glacier information form to the UC Berkeley payroll office. The payroll office will send an email from with your Glacier password and information on how to log onto the system.  

When you receive this email, please log onto the Glacier system and complete the information as soon as possible, but within 10 days of the receipt of the email. At the end of the process, Glacier will instruct you to print out your tax forms and forward them to the UC Berkeley Payroll Office. 

Honorarium - In most cases, you will receive a $200 USD Honorarium payment for giving a seminar here. The U.S. Government will take approximately 30%  of this amount (about $60) for taxes before payment.  

The Glacier system should let you know if your country has a tax treaty with the US.  If so, and you would like to take advantage of that, you will need to go through the process of creating an ITIN (U.S. Individual Taxpayer Identification Number), unless you already have an ITIN or a Social Security Number.  

If you would like to claim a tax treaty and need to create an ITIN, you will need to make an appointment with Christine Chang, in the UC Berkeley Payroll Office (, +1 (510) 642-0681) while you are here in order to complete the paperwork.  Please let Karyn Houston know if you would like to do this so she can help you plan your appointment around your seminar activities (; 510.643.7614).  You are not required to claim a tax treaty, so this is an optional process.

Required Information and Forms - In order to process an honorarium or travel expense reimbursement to a non-US Citizen, UC Berkeley requires:

- Home Address (to send the check)
- Social Security Number or ITIN, (if you have one)
- Completed forms
- Copy of passport and visa stamp
- Copy of I-94
- Certificate of Academic Activity (will be completed on arrival to the PMB office)
- Travel expense receipts


Please contact PMB Front Desk at, 510.642.9999.

Mailing Address: Plant & Microbial Biology, University of California,  111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720-3102